This website uses cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to accept all cookies on the CLC website. You can change your settings at any time.

Residential Lawyers Limited

Intervention into Residential Lawyers Limited – April 25th 2017

In light of breaches of the Code of Conduct and to protect the interests of the firm’s clients, the Council for Licensed Conveyancers (CLC) has intervened into

Residential Lawyers Limited

Trading from

2b The Wool Market

Dyer Street





Frequently asked questions


Q. Where is the file for my matter?

We have appointed agents to ensure that all current matters are completed without delay.

Sean Joyce of Stephensons Solicitors LLP, Wigan Investment Centre, Waterside Drive, Wigan, Lancashire, WN3 5BA has been appointed as the intervening agent. For enquiries please call 0333 344 4775 or email


Q. Am I obliged to allow the CLC’s agent to complete the work for me?
A. No, you have the right to appoint another lawyer. If this is your choice you will need to contact a new lawyer and provide them with your instructions. Your new lawyer will then need to contact our agents with your written authority to release the file to them. They can then advise of their requirements.


Q. Will I have to pay more for the work?
A. These lawyers will honour fee estimates that you agreed with Residential Lawyers but if any additional work becomes apparent you may be charged for this additional work. You will be advised in advance if such additional work becomes necessary.


If you decide to instruct another lawyer to complete the work there will be no obligation for them to match the fees that have been estimated by Residential Lawyers. You may also be liable to pay the costs for work carried out to date by Residential Lawyers.


Q. Residential Lawyers acted for me in the past and is holding my deeds – how do I get hold of these?

A. Deeds, as such, no longer exist as the majority of properties are registered electronically at Land Registry. If you need to prove ownership or are selling or re-mortgaging your lawyer will need to obtain up to date copies of the register from the Land Registry in any case.


If you feel there may be other documents or you have any other queries please e-mail your request with details of the transaction and documents you need to We will let you know what information we have and any additional information we may need before we are in a position to identify and send the documents to you. Following an intervention it may take some time for us to access archived files and documents, but your request will be actioned as quickly as possible.


For all other queries, please contact the Council for Licensed Conveyancers on or, or on 020 3859 0904